Weigh anchors on the good slot Hook’s Heroes where you’ll have chances a plenty to pillage the prizes from the feature and free spin rounds
- Two scatters anywhere in view lands you one free feature spin
- Three scatters takes you into the Hook’s Heroes bonus round
- Fairy spins give you extra wild symbols on every single spin
- Mermaid spins gives you big multipliers and wild bonuses
- Pirate spins allow all symbols to pay out like scatters on the grid
- Hit three more scatters anywhere in view to re-trigger the bonus
Pirate themed slots seem to be on the rise. Loose Cannon and 1492: Uncharted Seas both do a great job of defining the genre, but Hook’s Heroes from Net Entertainment takes the action up another notch. There’s plenty to get your teeth into in this great game with loads of different bonuses and clever mechanisms to keep you spinning.
The graphics and sounds on Hook’s Heroes are up to the same level of brilliance that you’ve come to expect from this top notch producer. Net Entertainment has crafted this slot around the story of Peter Pan, with the child-like pirates serving under Captain Hook making up the main fodder for the story-line here. As a result the reels are full of little faces sailing on a background of swirling seawater. Throw a great soundtrack into the mix, that’s full of energy and fun and you have the picture of the perfect slot machine.
The Hook’s Heroes base game plays out over a standard twenty pay-line, five reel set up that should be familiar to all lovers of casino slots around the web. There’s a very good pay-table that’s ramped up by the addition of a wild symbol that helps you on your winning ways by substituting in other combinations, and a scatter to get you into the feature spin and free spin rounds.
Any time you land two scatters on the reels this will land you a feature spin. This is one free respin of the reels with one of the standard game features activated randomly. This is a nice way to deal with the two scatter problem and is certainly better than the standard pays that you get or the systems where extra bonus symbols deliver no cash whatsoever. It’s a good solution to an age old slot machine problem.
There are three different free spin rounds available from Hook’s Heroes. When you hit the three or more scatters necessary to activate the bonus, this takes you to a second screen feature where you can choose the mechanism that suits you best. These are as follows:
- Fairy – this bonus gives you seven free spins with between two and five extra wilds at random. Each time you hit the spin button the fairy floats down and selects which stops will become wild for that individual spin.
- Mermaid – if multipliers are your thing then this mechanism is for you. You’ll receive ten free spins with all your wins paid out at double their normal value apart from those that feature wilds, which are paid out at four times.
- Pirate – here you’re granted fifteen free spins on a second set of reels where all the symbols on the grid will pay out as if they are scatters. This means that you can make an awful lot of cash should you land in a wild.
Slot Professor Says
Hook’s Heroes is a good solid slot machine that doesn’t stray from the tried and trusted free spin model. The base game is up to your favourite slot standard with twenty pay-lines running across the grid, which is a proven and well balanced wager structure that supports everyone from the penny players up to the big money high rollers.
It’s been said in this review before, but the feature spin mechanic is very clever little mechanism that allows you to get the most out of a two scatter situation. Unfortunately it does seem that more often than not the pirate function is the one engaged for the duration of your respin, but this more or less ensures that you take home a small win for your troubles.
Finally this is a very free spin heavy slot, but which of the bonus games do you want to take in order to have the best chance of winning the big bucks? In my opinion the multipliers on offer from the mermaid bonus round require you to hit some tasty wins, the pirate bonus round simply scrapes together some of the smaller wins, but the fairy bonus, even with its low number of spins, plasters the reels with wilds helping you make those winning combos. You know it makes sense.